Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Christmas in August

Submitted by Michelle
Did you know August is the only month lacking an official holiday? Eleven months of the year we celebrate Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, Independence Day, Hanukkah, New Year's, St. Patrick's Day, Thanksgiving, Halloween, and if we don't have a real holiday, we just make one up: Boss' Day, Secretaries Day, Day of the Teacher. You name it, we have a holiday for it and probably a card to accompany it, but not during the month of August. Since I don't have any holidays to create projects for this month, I thought I'd work ahead and get going on cards for the fall.

This first one is for my upcoming Stamp Club. I'm not a big celebrator of Halloween, in fact, I hate dressing up and only do so for my kinder kids, and I really don't like scary, gory stuff, but I could not resist this little skeleton guy when I saw him in the Stampin' Up Catalog. His set is called Scary Skeleton, but Linda and I have nicknamed him Scary Skelly cuz he is so cute! The inspiration for the card came right out of the Stampin' Up! Idea Book and Catalog, page 24. I embossed Skelly in white on black cardstock and I also embossed the phrase "Trick or Treat, Scary and Sweet" in black. The end result is pretty fantastic and I think my Claremont stampers will love it.
I also pre-ordered some items from the upcoming mini-catalog Stampin' Up! will put out on September 1. There is a fabulous new punch in the shape of an ornament that has a matching stamp set. I used it, along with my silver embossing powder, to make a tag for a gift card holder I created using some retired DSP and ribbon.

This is a different version of the gift card holder, again using up some retired product. The tag on this project was made from the Hostess Set Christmas Punch in the Stampin' Up! IB&C. I love, love, love this set because all 6 stamps utilize a different punch from the catalog.
By the way, you may recognize this gift card holder from my Day 3 convention post. I copied the idea exactly, but rather than making a card, I turned it into a gift card holder. Incidentally, I will be giving these 2 Christmas gifts away today. David and I have family visiting from Morocco, and since we do not see them in December, we are celebrating Christmas a little early.

No comments: