Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Betty Crocker Takes the High Road

Submitted by Linda
When I was asked to make desserts for tonight's church college group event (I can't believe I have a college student!), I decided to continue in this summer's theme of using up what I have. My kitchen pantry is well stocked, as well as my extra storage in the garage. Having all this food stockpiled is one of the benefits of doing "The Grocery Game".

Back in the 80s and 90s, one popular recipe was the "better than sex" cake. When I realized I had sweetened condensed milk, cool whip, toffee bits and caramel sauce on hand, I thought that this cake would be a good option. Weeks ago when I was making a cake for another occasion, I saw on the back of the cake mix box: "Better-than-Almost-Anything Cake". I almost laughed out loud at the change that Betty Crocker made in the title!

Here is a photo of the baked cake, with the holed poked into it:
And here is the final product-very moist!
This recipe is nice in that you can make it ahead and keep it in the fridge until you're ready to serve it.

Better-Than-Almost-Anything Cake
(Betty Crocker's version)
Makes 15 servings

1 box (Betty Crocker) German chocolate cake mix
water, vegetable oil, and eggs for cake mix directions
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 jar (16 oz) caramel, butterscotch or fudge topping (I prefer caramel)
1 tub (8 oz) frozen whipped topping or 1 tub (Betty Crocker) whipped white frosting
1 cup toffee chips or bits

1. Heat oven to 350. Make cake as directed for 13x9 pan, cool 15 minutes.
2. Poke top of warm cake every 1/2 inch with handle of wooden spoon. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over top of cake; let stand until milk has been absorbed into cake. Drizzle with caramel topping. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled.
3. Spread frosting/whipped topping over top of cake. Sprinkle with toffee chips. Store covered in refrigerator.

No comments: