Monday, July 27, 2009

Roasted Tomato Soup

Submitted by Michelle
Last December I wrote about Tyler Florence's roasted tomato soup with a passion and never thought I would come across another recipe that would equal or surpass it. That was before the August 2009 issue of Gourmet magazine came out. There is an entire section of the magazine devoted to tomatoes!!! The roasted-tomato soup recipe caught my eye since I enjoy a light soup in the summer time and because I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, including lots of Roma tomatoes from my farm box.

The recipe is very similar to Tyler's. You start by halving the tomatoes and placing them on a baking sheet with whole, unpeeled cloves of garlic. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour.
Since I live in a crazy hot climate, I roasted my tomatoes early in the morning to avoid heating the house up too much. I didn't use them until the evening and they held just fine all day long in a bowl. (The garlic you see below was peeled after roasting it.)
The same evening I made the soup. It didn't take long at all. I sauteed onion in butter with dried oregano and sugar.
Once the onions were translucent I added 3 cups of chicken stock. (Good thing I made some last week and had it in my freezer!)
I simmered the tomatoes and garlic in the stock for about 20 minutes and then let it cool before pureeing it in a blender in small batches. Cooling is essential. Too hot of liquid will blow the top off your blender.
The recipe then said to "force through a sieve into a clean pot." I almost skipped this step, thinking I didn't really need to do it. I'm glad I didn't.
After stirring and stirring and stirring with a spatula, all the yummy tomatoey goodness was in the pot and I was left with tomato skins and seeds in my sieve.
I stirred in half a cup of heavy cream, added some salt and pepper to taste and simmered until the soup was heated through.
The end result was an amazingly delicious, creamy and light soup.
The soup was gone in a day, but the flavor still lingers in my mind. I'm sure I'll be making this recipe throughout the summer and into the fall.

Roasted-Tomato Soup from Gourmet, August 2009
Ingredients:
4 lbs. tomatoes, halved lengthwise
6 garlic cloves, left unpeeled
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 cups chicken stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream

Procedure:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in middle.
-Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, in 1 layer in a large 4-sided sheet pan and add garlic to pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
-Roast tomatoes and garlic 1 hour, then cool in pan. Peel garlic cloves.
-Cook onion, oregano, and sugar in butter in a 6-to8-qt. heavy pot over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
-Add tomatoes, garlic and stock and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
-Puree soup in batches in a blender, then force through a sieve into cleaned pot, discarding solids. Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste and simmer 2 minutes.
-Makes 8 cups.

No comments: