Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Kind of Party

Submitted by Michelle
Once in a great while during my teaching career I have had the opportunity to form a friendship with a student that has lasted far beyond the year or two that she has been in my class. One such friendship is with Kim. She sang in my choir all 4 years of her high school career and long since graduation she has been a constant pen-pal and friend. I am extra blessed because not only has Kim remained a good friend, but her entire family has adopted me. I also taught her older sister Kristin who played piano for the high school choir and went on to Azusa Pacific University (my alma mater!) to study music. Kim's parents, Debbie and Dave were constant fans and supporters of me as a teacher and I have enjoyed many a fun time with their family since leaving high school teaching.
This past weekend Kim celebrated her 29th birthday. Debbie kindly included me in the surprise party and I was so honored because it was an intimate affair for Kim's closest friends and family.

The party began with a luncheon and every attention to
detail was taken care of from the centerpiece
to the china that co-ordinated with the centerpiece
to the place cards and pink sugar rimmed glassware!
We feasted on homemade chicken croissant sandwiches,
spinach salad with bacon and fresh fruit.
For dessert there was a scrumptious assortment of homemade treats including chocolate dipped strawberries, bite sized carrot cakes with cream cheese frosting, lemon pound cake and mini chocolate bundt cakes with whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top!!!! (I couldn't resist eating one of everything.)
No party is complete without games and this party had the PERFECT game: create a card and win a prize! Yes people, we got to stamp! Kristin prepped materials for us and we were able to craft to our hearts content.
Here we are letting our creative juices flow.
The birthday girl with her design.
My card.
Our finished projects.
Though the party was for Kim, I felt so special because of all the thought and preparation that was put into the party. And I loved how this party was so up my alley. A beautiful setting, great food, crafting and time with friends...what could be better?

No comments: