Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mario's Basil and Tomato Topping

Submitted by Linda
Look at these beautiful tomatoes from my garden! Once you've had homegrown tomatoes, you will never be happy with a grocery store tomato again. This year I have "early girl", "better boy", cherry tomatoes and the fun yellow variety. When the tomatoes come, I must have two things: bacon and tomato sandwiches (with iceberg lettuce and plenty of mayo) and bruschetta. When I was in LaQuinta with Michelle having her birthday crafting marathon, we made bruschetta from Mario Batali's Babbo Cookbook. It only takes a few quality ingredients: tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, and bread. I do not have a "salt pig" like Michelle, but the bowl pictured below has a cool flip-up/removeable lid, so I can dip into it as needed.

Mario suggests that you cut the garlic into paper thin slices, so that they are big enough for people to pull them out if they don't like garlic - however, my family loves garlic, so I chopped it up! Here are the tomatoes, garlic, and basil.
Grilling the bread gives it a yummy toasty flavor.
Here is the final product: My picture turned out blurry - but I can't take a new one because we ate it all up!!!! Yum.
Tomato and Basil Topping
Courtesy of Mario Batali

2 ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and medium dice
10 fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
freshly ground black pepper
4 large garlic cloves, 1 halved, and the other 3 sliced paper thin
8 (3/4") slices Italian peasant bread (I used baguette)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt or sea salt

Directions:
Preheat the grill or broiler.

In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, black pepper, and sliced garlic. Set aside.

Grill or toast the bread slices until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side. Rub 1 side of each bread slice with the cut side of the garlic cloves, then brush with some of the olive oil.

Season the tomato mixture with salt, and spoon some of the tomato mixture on each bread slice. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.

1 comment:

kate wallace said...

oh my goodness this looks so good! I can't wait to try this!