Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cooking With Class

Submitted by Michelle
My niece and nephew have been in the desert recently spending time with their grandma and papa and I've been able to see a great deal of them since they are staying about 5 minutes from my house. While they are in La Quinta they take swimming lessons through the YMCA and last week Max took a kid's cooking class at a local establishment aptly named Cooking with Class.
Monday through Friday for 5 hours a day Max learned about foods from other countries and made several authentic dishes from each country. On Friday David and I attended a luncheon and graduation ceremony put on by Max and his classmates. It was so fun to see where Max had been spending his days and to sample some of the foods he had learned to cook.

We sampled Sticky Ribs (Asia), Mexican Street Corn (Mexico), tossed green salad with Italian vinaigrette (Italy), cheesy garlic bread (Italy) and French Apple Tart (France.) It was all great but the ribs were my favorite and I'm hoping Max will teach me how to make them someday soon.
Here is the kitchen Max got to cook in...
and here is Max with his chef instructors.
Max and his friends had a graduation ceremony where they were given certificates of completion, cookbooks and their toque (traditional chef hat).
Meanwhile, while Max was at "real" cooking school, Anna and I had our own cooking school in my kitchen. Armed with her Mermaid Cookbook, Anna picked out a recipe she wanted to make (Crunchy Bagel Crisps) and did a fantastic job putting them together with just a little help from Aunt Shell.
(The cute Mary Englebreit apron that Anna is wearing was made by Kim,
the former student that I wrote about in yesterday's entry.
)
Having Max and Anna take an interest in cooking warms my heart because it is a love that I can actively share with them. I can only imagine the fun we will have over the years cooking together and sharing recipes.

Crunchy Bagel Crisps
Ingredients:
colored sugar
cinnamon
softened butter
mini bagels

Procedure:
1. Mix sugar (1 tablespoon) and cinnamon (1 teaspoon) in a small bowl. Make as many colors as you like.

2. Have an adult helper thinly slice bagels. (This adult helper cut the bagel in half, and then cut the halves in half.)

3. Butter one side of each bagel and then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.

4. Bake on a foil lined baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Bagels will continue to get crunchy as they cool.

No comments: