Saturday, June 27, 2009

Market Bags...As If!

Submitted by Michelle
In my 18 years of teaching I have met some talented and educated people, but the most amazing woman I have ever known is my friend Sheryl. We taught together in Covina for many years and she was a constant source of inspiration. She is incredibly intelligent and was a fantastic teacher. She is the kind of person who inspires you to be your very best and will help you every inch of the way.

When I moved to the desert to begin teaching kindergarten I missed Sheryl immensely, but would visit her often on weekends. We'd meet for lunch at Houston's and then shop in Old Town Pasadena, or take a trip to Irvine to peruse the shops. Sadly for me and her students, she retired from teaching a few years back and moved to Oregon. I haven't seen her since our final dinner at P.F. Chang's (another favorite spot) but we communicate via e-mail and the telephone.

Along with being a genius, Sheryl is also incredibly crafty. On my 40th birthday she sent me a hand knit blanket made from the most amazingly soft yarn. This year, for my 42nd birthday, she sent me these "market bags" as she likes to call them.
Aren't they great? She knitted them and then somehow through a washing process, the yarn resembles felt.

The big bag is for me and the little bag is for Celeste...(though I may have to keep the little bag for myself it is so cute!) Sheryl claims I can use these bags for grocery shopping. I think not. I will use my bag as a tote, but not for any old thing like a can of tomatoes or a half gallon of milk!

My favorite part of the bags are the flowers and the leaves. The bags were made from a pattern but I think Sheryl designed the flowers herself.

I'm so lucky to have such a talented friend who shares her gifts with me. And I can't wait to hit the streets with my stylishly cute market bag!

No comments: