Tuesday, June 23, 2009

German Chocolate Cupcakes

Submitted by Linda
You all know by now how I like to "upgrade" things, especially in the crafting world, and in party planning, table setting, etc. However, in my life as a cook I've always preferred doing the quick versions of recipes, especially when feeding a family. I've always preferred to bake than cook, but those darling children I have want to eat real food every single day! Cooking dinner each and every night can be drudgery (especially when we are expected to be low cost, low fat, taste good, etc. etc. etc.), and for me, it becomes one more thing on my to-do list.

Those of you who know Michelle, know that this does not fit her philosophy of daily wonderful, gourmet meals. Well, I had a bit of a revelation! For her, cooking dinner is a relaxing end of the day. Though this is not how I'm wired, I have approached kitchen tasks lately with a "this can be relaxing" attitude. And guess what? I'm having a lot more fun in my kitchen! This morning, I cooked corn on the cob for a chilled corn salad, made fresh juice with Craig's new juicer, and made this amazing frosting for the cupcakes I baked yesterday.

This reminds me of Alexandra Stoddard's idea in her book Tea Celebrations, when she talks about ironing a tablecloth for a special event (I think I may have mentioned her before). Instead of looking it as a lot of work, while she's ironing, she thinks of how much people will enjoy sitting at her table for her special event. It all boils down to attitude!

Enough philosophizing! This recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law Renee. The cupcakes are a German chocolate cake mix, and this frosting is YUMMY! You may remember that these cupcakes were one of the varieties that we served at Tommy's grad party.

German Chocolate Frosting
1 C. evaporated milk
1 C. sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 C. butter or margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 C. flaked coconut
1 C. chopped pecans

Combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick, about 12 minutes. Stir in coconut and nuts.

Here is the mixture during the cooking process:
Here it is with the coconut and pecans stirred in:

1 comment:

kate wallace said...

This is so wonderful! I was going to call you two and ask for the recipe. Jeremy loved these cupcakes at Tommy's party!!