Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Vanilla Popcorn

Submitted by Linda

I'm really blessed to work at a school where there is a genuine caring among staff members and an honest embracing of the TEAM philosophy. I'm always amazed when various people are inspired to care for those in need, and plan celebrations for others. One of our first grade teachers invited the first and kindergarten teachers to bring in goodies this week to encourage the upper grade teachers who are in the throes of state testing. As a school and as professionals, we aren't fans of the state tests, because of the unreasonable demands it puts on our students, and because we believe that there are much better ways to measure growth (not to mention the great financial cost it is to our schools).

Since I'm grateful NOT to be one of the teachers that administer the test, I was happy to do my share to encourage those who are. On Wednesday, I brought in the "upgraded rice krispie treats" (click here to view). Everyone was so impressed with the cuteness factor of the bundt shape. I need to bring another treat tomorrow, and since it is very warm today, I decided not to heat up my oven, and instead made "Vanilla Popcorn". Here it is, cooling on wax paper. It is a simple recipe, and I usually have the ingredients on hand.
It is hard to see in the photo, but it is covered with gooey yummy sweetness. Tomorrow I will put it in a cute serving bowl, much bigger than what is pictured below:
Here is the recipe:

Vanilla Popcorn
From Country Discoveries Magazine 8/2000

3 quarts popped popcorn (I feel strongly that this should be 'real' popcorn, popped with oil and not the microwave variety. I have a "stir crazy" popper, and it barely takes more time than the microwave stuff, but is way better in texture and taste.)
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. butter or margarine
1/4 C. light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

In saucepan, combine sugar, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda. Bring to boil over medium heat; Boil and stir until mixture is golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over popcorn and toss to coat. Cool slightly, break apart while warm.

No comments: