Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Graduation Party: Part 3

Submitted by Linda

Now, I realize that my almost-18-year-old won't give a flying fig about having nice centerpieces at his party. However, I'm one of those people whose 'love language' could be 'cute centerpieces'. I'm kidding, of course, but I truly feel loved and cared for when I attend an event where effort has been put into the centerpiece and linens. Please know (lest any of you hesitate to invite me over for a meal for fear that I may cast judgement on your lack of centerpiece) that I can have a wonderful time at an event or party where we are eating off paper plates sitting on a blanket. In reality, time with loved ones and friends must be the cornerstone of a meal or event.

That being said, I do enjoy using linens and having fresh flowers on hand, even for the most simple of gatherings. Most often I use a red gingham tablecloth. For Tommy's party, I have rented "real" linens, in black, with maroon napkins. I just got home from Von's, where I found these alstroemeria and mums in the perfect colors (and they were on sale). You may remember my previous entry on the virtues of the alstroemeria, if you'd like to read it, click here.

My container is an empty can, covered with cute graduation hat paper, and a nice burgundy ribbon tied in a knot (a bow may have been to 'girly' for a boy's party). These were just put into the container, so they haven't even opened up all the way. By Saturday, they will look even better. I don't claim to be a flower arranger....so if anyone out there wants to give me some feedback, that would be fine with me!

1 comment:

Veronica said...

I think you are doing a wonderful job and am sure Tommy will be grateful for all the love and hard work you've put into his celebration.