Monday, April 27, 2009

What's For Dinner?

Submitted by Michelle
I wanted pizza. Pepperoni to be exact. But, in an effort to eat healthfully and be frugally minded, I opted for eating from my pantry and refrigerator rather than the local pizza joint. After all, I had all the fixings on hand for an appetizer style dinner which, in fact, is one of my favorites.

I grilled some asparagus and portabello mushrooms that I bought at the Farmer's Market yesterday. I dressed them simply with a balsamic vinaigrette that I made from olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. I sliced up a few yellow tomatoes and avocado, also fresh from the Farmer's Market and gave them a generous sprinkle of sea salt. To round out the meal I broke off some chunks of my favorite parmigiano reggiano and did of quick saute of spinach that I had on hand from my farm box. Again, I kept the saute simple by using butter, olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Finally, I sliced an Italian boule that had parmesan and cracked pepper in it, also purchased at the Farmer's Market from my favorite baker.

David brought home a great bottle of cabernet sauvignon and we enjoyed our simple supper on the patio. The meal was satisfying and good for me and now that it is over, I'm glad I'm not weighed down by pepperoni pizza...though I can't promise I won't have it for dinner tomorrow.

No comments: