Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Strawberry Shortcake - Old School Style

Submitted by Linda
Believe it or not, in our fair town of Claremont we have a strawberry patch within my 2 mile radius (actually, it's only 1/2 mile from my home).These strawberries are not cheap, but each and every single one is a beauty. This is where I go for berries for special occasions or to dip into chocolate. On Saturday, Craig bought some "just because", so I decided they needed some old fashioned shortcake. I will never say no to strawberries on angel food cake, or pound cake, but I learned from my dad that strawberries were meant to be enjoyed over shortcake. Here are the shortcakes I made, using my old standby cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens. I'm learning to use Michelle's favorite chef's recipes (Mario Batali, Ina Garten, Susan Branch), but sometimes the 'old but good' recipes are exactly what I'm wishing for.
For those of you youngsters who possibly missed out on 'real shortcake', they are similar in texture to a biscuit or scone, but sweeter.
In my perfect Strawberry Shortcake world, they are served with half-n-half in a bowl, instead of whipped cream. However, on Saturday night I served it up with whipped cream for those who preferred it.

Here's the recipe:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup butter
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450.
In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter till mixture resembles course crumbs. In a small bowl combine egg and milk; add all at once to dry ingredients and stir just to moisten. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface about 12 strokes. Pat or roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into 9 biscuits with a floured 2 1/1 inch biscuit cutter (I used an empty clean soup can). Bake on an ungreased baking sheet in a 450 degree oven about 10 minutes or till golden. Split, butter bottom layers (I didn't add the butter here). Fill and top with fresh fruit and whipped cream. Serve warm. Makes 9 servings.

1 comment:

~ Lucy said...

Mmmmmmmmm... strawberry shortcake... my favorite!

I've never stopped at that strawberry stand but you better believe I will now. They look amazing and there's just nothing like a fabulous strawberry still warm from the sun. *drool*