Thursday, April 16, 2009

Giada's Salad

Submitted by Linda
Can you imagine what kind of fun Michelle and I could have had if our Spring Breaks were during the same week? Thankfully, our monthly stamp club is coming soon, so hopefully we'll have some great paper crafts to post.

In the meantime, Michelle has been relaxing and rejuvenating herself at the beach and I've moved back into my routines, which include teaching and feeding my family (among other things).


Thanks to Michelle, my boys are always having opportunities to develop their palates. Nick is more reluctant, but Tommy has learned to enjoy the nice foods in life (sometimes Tommy will ask me to make him a cheese plate, and he doesn't mean cheddar or monterey jack- he wants the nice parmesan, brie, etc.).

One dish that all the men in my life (including the one I'm married to) enjoy is a nice salad (as long as it is accompanied by a serious main dish!). I am happy to try new salad recipes, and the boys are usually happy to eat any salad, even with a wide range of ingredients added. Here is a salad from Giada De Laurentis that was introduced to us by Michelle. I like it because it is somewhat easy to have all the ingredients on hand. The peppery dressing is the perfect compliment to the zip of the radicchio.
Italian Chopped Salad
Giada De Laurentis

4 teasp. red wine vinegar
1/4 teasp. salt, plus more for seasoning
1/8 teasp. freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
3 tablesp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cups finely chopped romaine (from 1/2 head)
2 cups finely chopped radicchio (from 1/2 large head)
1/2 cup drained canned white beans, rinsed and patted dry
8 oil packed sun-dried tomato halves, drained and chopped

Whisk the vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper in a large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil to blend. Add the lettuce, radicchio, beans, and sun-dried tomatoes, Toss to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with more salt and pepper, and serve.

Let me know if you like it!

No comments: