Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter at the Beach

Submitted by Michelle
For the beauty of the Earth, for the glory of the skies.
For the love which from our birth, over and around us lies.
Lord of all to thee we raise, this our hymn of grateful praise.
Traditional Hymn

On Easter Sunday I decided to take a walk on the beach. It always amazes me that this is my view as I start out.
What is it about walking and looking down? Am I afraid I'm going to trip? Do I not want to make eye contact with others? Am I enamoured with my tennis shoes? It seems to be a natural tendency to look down and I consciously have to remind myself to look up! And when I do, I see the most amazing things.
OK, maybe surfers aren't amazing works of nature, but they do make for a nice view.

Along my walk I saw lots of interesting things. This tree that appears to be falling over the cliff is pretty astounding, along with all the moss that grows on the bluffs and rocks. (During high tide it is not really possible to walk on the beach, hence the moss.)

I also loving seeing all the wildlife. I'm not sure what these birds are looking for in the sand but they are sure cute.
The tide was extremely low on Sunday so I was able to get to a tide pool area. There are several rocks that are usually covered with water but during low tide...
you can see this!
I didn't pay much attention in high school biology so I'm not sure if these are called mussels or what, but there were literally thousands of them.

Beach walking usually puts me into a contemplative mood, and yesterday I was reminded again of how blessed a life I lead. It just takes a little looking up, rather than down.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

beautiful thoughts *and* beautiful pics, michelle! now if you can just get a shot of those surfers once they've pulled down the tops of their wet suits...

Veronica said...

Thank you for taking the time to post these GORGEOUS pictures and your thoughts. The view is incredible. :-)