Sunday, March 22, 2009

Stop and Smell the Flowers

Submitted by Michelle
"Don't hurry, don't worry. You're only here for a short visit. So be sure to stop and smell the flowers." Walter C. Hagen

I was in Claremont this weekend and on my way out of town I drove up Harvard Street. It had been raining earlier in the morning but the drops of water had subsided and I was awed when I saw this tree. So awed that I pulled my car over to get a few photos, which is totally unlike me when I am on a mission to get somewhere.

In a blog post a week ago I wrote about needing to unplug and enjoy the stillness of life. This tree reminded me again that it is so important to live in the moment. To be present in what one is doing rather than fretting over what is to come. Day to day life can be so busy and given the current economic times I know many of us (particularly me!) are worried about finances. This tree didn't pay my bills or make my financial worries go away, but it did make me smile and I was reminded of all the blessings I have heaped on me day in and day out: my wonderful friends, a family who loves me, a job that allows me to positively influence the next generation, a home to share with my husband and a garden in which to grow things. The list could go on and on, but for today I'll think of this tree and try not to hurry or worry. It's much more fun to enjoy the flowers.

If you want to see this tree for yourself, check it out on the corner of Harvard and Bonita in the village of Claremont.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

This tree is beautiful and you should frame this picture in your house. :-)