Saturday, March 28, 2009

Roasted Beets

Submitted by Michelle

If all you beet haters out there think this entry isn't for you let me encourage you to keep reading. I'm not talking about the slimy, canned red beets from childhood. I'm talking fresh, golden beets roasted slowly in the oven and then finished off with a little olive oil, fresh parsley, salt and pepper. They are earthy, savory and so delightful. Nothing like the red beets that our moms tried to get us to eat. Even my non-veggie eating friend Stacey thinks these are good. Here's what you need:

Golden Beets - I buy mine at Henry's Market. Bristol Farms has them. Regular grocery stores don't usually carry them but I have found if you ask a produce manager they can often get them in, especially if they know customers want them. You can use red beets with this recipe, they are just a bit messy.
Salt - I like Kosher salt because it is a bigger grain
Pepper - I prefer fresh cracked and if you don't have a pepper grinder it's about time to invest in one! A great addition to any kitchen.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - I have 2 types on hand, one that I cook with that isn't too expensive and then a nicer (more expensive) oil that I use strictly for drizzling and making vinaigrette.
Flat Leaf (Italian Parsley) - This is such a great herb that will add freshness to the earthy flavor of the beets. The green also compliments the yellow/orange of the beets really well and makes for such an appetizing presentation.
I start by cutting the tops and bottoms off of the beets so they will stand up in an oven proof pan. (There are a few small red beets in the pan too. They came in my big box of produce and I wanted to use them up. They'll be great cut up in a salad.)

I put a little olive oil in the bottom of the pan so they don't stick and I also drizzle a little olive oil over the tops. I like to add a sprinkle of salt. I think it is important to layer flavor into your food throughout the cooking process, not just at the end.

I roast the beets in a 425 degree oven until they are fork tender. (Think about baking a potato and how it feels when it is done. It is the same thing for a beet.) Depending on the size of your beets, the roasting process can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. (Sometimes even more.)

When the beets are roasted they will look like this.
I let them cool off a bit and then peel them with a knife.
I then cut the beets into bite sized pieces and add all the other ingredients.
Mix well and you've got yourself a healthy side dish or snack. They are best served warm or at room temperature. They can be refrigerated for several days, though mine never last that long.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I'm not even hungry right now and they look delicious. That says a lot coming from me! :-)