Thursday, March 26, 2009

Black Bean Burritos

Submitted by Michelle
About 5 years ago my cousin Kathy turned me on to vegetarian cooking. She and I could never give up eating meat but we do try to be virtuous as much as possible which means we make an attempt to eat vegetarian 2 - 3 times a week.

Kathy lives in NYC and though she would never leave the east coast for good, one thing that draws her west is Mexican food. When she visits we have a list of Mexican restaurants we like to frequent because she says, "You can't get this kind of Mexican food in New York!" One of our favorite Mexican meals is "wet burritos." Basically, a burrito filled with whatever you like, beans, beef, pork, chicken, etc., and covered in enchilada sauce (we prefer red over green) and cheese.

In an attempt to recreate the wet burrito at home, Kathy came up with this yummy black bean burrito recipe. A friend of mine unexpectedly lost a loved one this week and I am taking dinner to her tonight so I decided to make black bean burritos since they are so delicious and travel well.

In a large skillet I sauteed 3 cloves of garlic, 1/2 a jalapeno and 1 red pepper in olive oil and added a good sprinkle of salt.
Once the veggies had softened a bit I added lots of cumin, about 1 tablespoon, and mixed it together.
I then added 2 cans of black beans. I drained and rinsed 1 of the cans of beans and used the juice from the other so I would have the right amount of liquid. I brought it all to a simmer and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes so the beans would soften.
Once the beans were soft, I used my potato masher and mashed up most of the beans. I also added a small can of diced green chilies. (I forgot to put them in the first photo with all the other ingredients.) I then let the beans simmer a bit to cook off some of the liquid.
Once the beans were done, I put poured a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a pan.
Using large, burrito sized flour tortillas, I spread some of the black beans in the center and sprinkled with cheese...
folded in the sides...
and rolled them up.
I made 5 grande burritos. You could certainly get more from this recipe if you used smaller sized tortillas.
I covered the burritos with enchilada sauce. At this point you could sprinkle cheese over the top. I did not since the burritos have some much cheese inside.
My friend can bake these babies up in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes and have a tasty meal. (I would keep them covered while baking so the burritos don't dry out.)

Along with the burritos I am taking a tossed green salad and brownies with peanut butter chips in them. Hopefully a home cooked meal with bring her a little comfort during such a sad time.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

I just made this recipe. Very yummy! Thanks Michelle!