Friday, February 27, 2009

Spinach Bread

Submitted by Michelle

Remember the sausage bread? As fabulous as it tastes, and as hard as it is to believe, there are people who actually prefer a vegetarian option when I am serving sausage bread and my mother is one of them. Last week I had an abundance of spinach from my big box of produce and I was making sausage bread for my family, so I decided to give spinach bread a try too.

I've eaten spinach bread in Utica, New York, home of my Aunt Rosemarie and Uncle Dave, and attempted to make it years ago, only to end up with a soggy mess. Now that I am an older and wiser home chef, I've learned some techniques that helped make my spinach bread a success.

I started with spinach, onion, garlic and thyme.
In a large frying pan, I sauteed the garlic and onion in olive oil until it was soft. I also added red pepper flakes for some heat.
I then tossed in the thyme and all the spinach and cooked it until it the spinach was wilted.
The next step is crucial and of course, I forgot to photograph it! I put the spinach, garlic, thyme and onion in cheesecloth and wrung out as much of the liquid as I could. (You could also use a kitchen towel if you don't have cheesecloth.) Spinach is loaded with liquid and it is important to get rid of as much as possible to avoid having soggy spinach bread.

Next, I put the wrung out spinach in a bowl and added ricotta cheese, salt, pepper and 1 egg (to bind everything together).
Once everything was combined, I spread the spinach mixture over my bread crust (the same one from the sausage bread entry) and baked it.

My end result was a crusty bread with a moist (not soggy!) inside. It was really tasty and my mom took the leftovers home.

2 comments:

Tiff said...

Our spinach bread is in the oven now! We'll let you know how it turns out! :)
Tiff & Courtney

Jackie M. said...

I didn't know how much ricotta to add, so I sort of guessed. My bread will be going in the oven shortly!