Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My All-Time Favorite Sandwich

Submitted by Michelle
Oh the joy of eating a virtuous meal such as the roasted vegetable sandwich! Packed with flavor and all things good for you, it is by far my favorite dinner particularly in warm weather when grilling is a must.

At the Farmer's Market on Sunday I bought some amazing zucchini, eggplant, red onion, red pepper, basil and bread. I knew I'd be making pesto since Celeste was spending the weekend and wanted some for pasta and Fresh Herb Muffins, so I decided to make grilled veggie sandwiches for dinner.

I started by slicing the vegetables and giving them a sprinkle of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
I grilled the veggies, along with the red pepper. I left the red pepper whole and grilled it until it was completely charred black on the outside. Here is a terribly blurry picture of the pepper. Sorry!
Once the pepper had cooled a bit, I rubbed and peeled all the blackness off and was left with the soft yet firm flesh that I cut into strips.
I put all the veggies on my butcher block, along with some freshly sliced tomato, mozzerella cheese, pesto and bread and assembled a sandwich for myself.
David loved it too and along with a salad of mixed greens, we had a healthy feast.

2 comments:

Veronica C. said...

This looks delicions .... bummer I can't have a grill at my place.

Gina said...

This sandwich was amazing! I left off the eggplant, roasted the bell pepper in the oven and I used a griddle on the stove top. It's "restaurant" tastey!