Monday, December 15, 2008

Roasted Tomato Soup

Submitted by: Michelle

Despite it being December, I've still been getting late harvest tomatoes in my big box of produce from the CSA. Sadly, the sudden cold snap that we've been having will probably bring an end to the sweet and juicy beauties. Not wanting to waste any of the tomatoes that I had on hand, I decided to make a quick and easy tomato soup for dinner tonight. I turned to Food Network's hunky and talented Tyler Florence for a roasted tomato soup recipe. I've made it once before and I knew it wouldn't disappoint.

I started with a few, simple ingredients.... red and yellow tomatoes, onion, basil (from my garden!), bay and garlic.


I cut the tomatoes, sliced the onion and peeled the garlic and then tossed it all in olive oil, salt and pepper.

I roasted it all in the oven. I wish you could've smelled the aroma. It was outrageous!


I cooked the roasted garlic, onion and tomatoes (and all the juices from the sheet pan) with chicken stock and bay leaves and reduced it down a bit. Then I added the fresh basil.

Using an immersion blender, I pureed everything (except the bay leaves.) If you aren't married to a culinary school graduate who owns an immersion blender, a regular blender or food processor will do the job too.


I was left with a creamy tomato soup that didn't contain a drop of cream! (The original recipe calls for cream but I didn't have it and frankly, I didn't miss it or the calories.) The picture doesn't do it justice but trust me it looked and tasted great.

Cooking soup is such a relaxing and satisfying pastime. Not only does it make the house smell good, the results warm your insides on a chilly evening.

Roasted Tomato Soup

2 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes (mix of fresh heirlooms, cherry, vine and plum tomatoes)
6 cloves garlic, peeled
2 small yellow onions, sliced
Vine cherry tomatoes for garnish, optional
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 quart chicken stock
2 bay leaves
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, optional
3/4 cup heavy cream, optional (I didn't use this in my version.)

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Wash, core and cut the tomatoes into halves. (I didn't core the tomatoes and it still worked fine.) Spread the tomatoes, garlic cloves and onions onto a baking tray. If using vine cherry tomatoes for garnish, add them as well, leaving them whole and on the vine. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, or until caramelized.

Remove roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion from the oven and transfer to a large stock pot (set aside the roasted vine tomatoes for later). Add 3/4 of the chicken stock, bay leaves, and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has reduced by a third.

Wash and dry basil leaves, if using, and add to the pot. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat, add cream and adjust consistency with remaining chicken stock, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish in bowl with 3 or 4 roasted vine cherry tomatoes and a splash of heavy cream.




2 comments:

val pal said...

looks delish! i'm going to try this out tonight. the little man LOVES tomatoes, and it's rainy and cold in my neck of the woods, so it's a soup kind of night. thanks!

Veronica C. said...

This roasted tomato soup is delish! Claudia, is a picky eater, but she also enjoyed it. Thank you Michelle :-)