Saturday, December 20, 2008

Linda's Sugar Cookies

Submitted by: Linda
To quote Rachel Lynde from Anne of Green Gables fame, "I'm known around these parts" for my sugar cookies. I am not saying these are the best sugar cookies ever, but I do have a small fan club who request them throughout the year and especially at Christmas. When my boys were small, I enjoyed finding the perfect cookie cutter to coordinate with their birthday party theme.

I have very fond memories of making these with my mom during the holidays, and we learned some important lessons, including: blue frosting is not always appetizing and those little silver balls/sprinkles can really hurt your teeth.

I also fell in love with the old-school cookie cutters - I love the ones with handles and scallop edges.

Well, my mom (and other family members) have designated me as the "official sugar cookie baker" because I have found some tools that have helped make my sugar cookie baking projects easy and successful. (Don't men say it's all about the tools?) I'm going to share my tips, which I'm sure will help you with any variety of sugar cookie dough. I will include my recipe at the end, for those of you (Beth) who are wishing for it!

1. The "No Mess Dough Disc" - this is a plastic disc that comes with a little cotton "sheet" that goes over it. I believe that when I use this, it requires less flour to roll them out, so there are no "tough" cookies, even with the dough that has been rolled out several times. I found my disc online for about $16.99.
2. The other tool pictured above is the hand-held pastry roller. I use this in lieu of a big rolling pin. This way I have more control over the dough as I'm rolling it, so it is easier for me to get them all at a consistent thickness.
3. The other secret to my cookies is to pull them out of the oven just before they start to brown. We like them soft rather than crunchy. Pictured below is the finished product, with simple powder sugar/milk frosting and sprinkles.

Linda's Family Favorite Sugar Cookies
Blend:
1 heaping C. sugar
1 C. shortening
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 C. milk
1 t. vanilla (of course, Penzey's is best)

Add:
3 1/2 C. flour (you will need a bit more flour when you roll them out)
1 t. baking powder
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt

Mix well. Roll 1/4 inch think and cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 375 for about 8 minutes. Remember, you will want to pull them out before they get brown. Watch them carefully, if they are getting too brown you may want to turn your oven down to 350.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are the best cookies!
Thank you Linda for sharing your tips and receipe with me!
Have a great CHRISTmas!
Beth

Larry said...

These sugar cookies are exquisitely the BEST sugar cookies ever!!
Especially the white frosted ones with crystal sparkles