Friday, December 5, 2008

Linda's Christmas Tip #9: Bows 101

Submitted by: Linda
Although I'm so grateful for any gift I'm given, I'm not a big fan of the pre-fab sticky bows (the type you can buy in the big bag). Of course, small children, bachelors, the elderly and 'craft-impaired' friends are always welcome to use these types of bows!

I grew up with a crafty mom who made her bows, so I assumed everyone knew how to make a nice bow for a gift bag or package. Then tonight, as I was making my weekly trip to Michael's (gotta use those 40% coupons), I saw folks buying beautiful pre-made bows and paying way too much money for them. So I thought I would try to make a photo tutorial for anyone who is interested. I used a 2 sided ribbon, so that it would be easy to see how I did it. Ready?

First I tied the ribbon around the box and made a knot with tails.Next, I make a loop and pinch it.
Now, I make another loop opposite the first one. Now, if your ribbon is two sided, you'll need to twist it before you make the next loops, so that the pretty side of your ribbon is exposed. Keep looping, back and forth. I make sure I have at least 6 or 7 loops.
I've got my loops done. Keep Pinching!
Lay your pinched ribbon loops on top of the knot on your package. You will now use the two "tails" from your knot to tie the loops on.
Pull the "tails" tight.
Fluff the loops a bit, trim the ends and Ta-Dah!!! A pretty package!

No comments: