Monday, December 29, 2008

Decor Elements Rock My World

Submitted by: Michelle

The foyer of our house has a long wall. For many years I've talked about putting up wedding photos of David and me as well as other family members. My inspiration came way back in 2002 (or was it 2003?) My cousin-in-law Angeline had done something similar in her Arizona home. (She and her family have since moved to New York. That's how long I've been thinking about this!) You may have noticed it takes me a quite a while to put plans into action. I'm always hemming and hawing about whether to do something and wondering if I'll actually like it. Good thing I have my front row friend Linda! She helped me get off my duff and buy inexpensive frames at Michael's and then she helped me decide how to hang the wedding photos of my grandparents, my aunt and uncle, David's parents, my parents and our siblings. Now the foyer looks like this:

There is plenty of room to add more photos of David's grandparents, my Polish grandparents or of nieces and nephews as they get married over the coming years.

I liked the look of the wall but I wanted something to tie it all together so I decided to try out a decor element from Stampin' Up! They are like the tattoos you find in the Cracker Jack box, only bigger and made for walls not bodies. Decor Elements aren't that new to Stampin' Up! and as a demonstrator one would think that I would have lots of experience with them, but being that I tend to move at a snail's pace when it comes to new things, this was my first encounter with a decor element and a wall.

I started by trimming the outer paper down and taping the image to the wall using painter's tape.
Following the directions that came with the decor elements, I had my image on the wall in a matter of about 10 minutes. Our walls are textured, which made the process a teeny-tiny bit laborious, but I am convinced that smooth walls would make the process a breeze.

This is the finished project. I think it looks mighty nice, don't you?