Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sugar Cookies

Submitted by: Michelle

My friend Valarie (and former student from my high school teaching days!) loves my sugar cookies. She recently asked for the recipe and I thought I'd share it with everyone. I originally came by the recipe years ago when I was spending Christmas in Utica, New York with my relatives. As my cousin Kathy (another person I proudly have in my front row) made the cookies I wrote down the ingredients and the procedure. Keep in mind, Kathy was in high school at the time and I was in my early years of college, so the directions are quite simplistic.

Kathy's Sugar Cookies
Ingredients:
1 c butter
2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
5 c flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar

Procedure:
Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl.
Add eggs, oil, salt and vanilla and mix well.
Sift together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.
Add flour mixture to wet ingredients, 1 cup at a time.

To Bake:
Roll dough into a ball.
Roll ball in granulated sugar.
Roll out flat with a rolling pin.
Cut cookies and bake 10 min. at 350 degrees until lightly brown.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

and i believe that recipe came from a *home ec* class. if that doesn't date me, i don't know what does...xo and thanks for having me in your front row, michelle!

valarie said...

thanks for the shoutout. ;] my coworkers are going to love my pumpkin, bat, black cat, and witch hat sugar cookies tomorrow.

Veronica C. said...

This is great to have around; especially with the holidays just around the corner. Thanks!

Samantha said...

Sounds Yummy- I'm in!