Thursday, October 30, 2008

Rice Krispy Treat Upgrade

Submitted by: Linda

Hello again! Just so we're all clear.... Michelle is the true foodie/chef/gourmet. We have joked about being the next cooking network stars (Michelle being the true chef and me being the goofy sidekick who makes silly mistakes in the kitchen). Let me say that she has really upgraded my kitchen and my cooking. Each time she comes into town, she makes something nice for my family to eat, and I am learning along the way to branch out beyond tacos and bbq. Also, she's helped me acquire some nice simple tools for my kitchen, which really make cooking easier.

All that to say, I'm a big fan of the UPGRADE. For example, I rarely serve a meal without a tablecloth, even if we're on the patio using paper plates. The above picture is a simple upgrade of the ever-popular Rice Krispy Treat. My boys have never been a fan of birthday cake, so often for their birthdays, we would do this Rice Krispy Treat Cake. Basically, you put your cereal/butter/marshmallow mixture in a greased bundt pan instead of a 9 x 13. Then you slice it like a cake. The one pictured above has sprinkles on it - and it also looks very cute with candles stuck in.

Every time I serve this at a gathering, people are so impressed with the presentation it makes. It also helps having a really cute cake plate (This one is by Vera Bradley-- I carried it on a plane home from Chicago after visiting my front row friend Heidi).

One more side note: When I make Rice Krispy Treats, I use a whole cube of butter, a whole bag of mini marshmallows, and the whole box of Rice Krispies. This means no measuring, and all that butter keeps them soft and delicious for several days.

No comments: